Top Signs That Your Electrical Wiring Might Cause a Fire

You may be used to constant electricity flowing through your home, but electricity is always a potential fire risk if you do not take the necessary steps to protect your home. However, there are safety measures that have been put into place to make the threat of a home fire due to electrical problems less significant. Still, there are several warning signs that you'll need to keep an eye on in order to make your home safe from fires.

A Tripping Circuit Breaker

The purpose of a circuit breaker is to make sure that the flow of electricity into your home doesn't cause a circuit to overheat. This might be the result of an appliance pulling too much electricity and is causing an electrical overload. There might also be a short circuit somewhere that will need to be repaired by an electrician.

Defective Appliances

If your appliances don't seem to be functioning properly, this could be due to an electrical problem in your home. An electric malfunction can be difficult to detect without an electrician because they often occur behind the walls of your home. Also, the fires that result from an electric malfunction often aren't discovered until the fire has started to spread.

Flickering, Buzzing, and Dimming Lights

If your lights are often flickering or dimming, you may need a professional upgrade from a residential electrical contractor. Your wiring might not be able to support your lights.

Burning Smells and Chewed Wiring

You may notice a burning smell and not know where it's coming from. This might be the result of old and faulty wiring. Also, if you notice wiring that is frayed or has been chewed on, this could indicate that you may have a pest problem in your home. In addition to contacting pest control, you should contact an electrician to have your wires fixed.

Look for charred or discolored outlets. This can be a sign that faulty wiring is generating enough heat to cause the charring and discoloration. The faulty wiring in your home might be leading to arcing currents or may be causing sparks to fly. When these ignite, they can create a fire in your home. You may also simply notice electrical wiring or components that are worn out.

Your Home is Old

If your home is more than 50 years old and the wiring has never been updated, your home is in danger of a fire and you should contact electrical services immediately.

For more information about preventing electrically caused house fires, contact a residential electrical contractor near you.